Don't pay for someone to help you apply for loan forgiveness. Really?

When I read an article that says, "You never have to pay someone to help you apply for loan forgiveness", it makes me wonder if they really understand what's going on in the industry? Do they know that student loan service providers don't really care whether you are successful at obtaining your goal of becoming debt free? Do they know that 99% of applicants have been denied loan forgiveness, due to the mismanagement of their accounts and the inaccurate information they have given those applicants? Do they know that thousands of borrowers have made payments that they THOUGHT were going towards the forgiveness program, only to be told later, that the payments didn't qualify, or that they were on the WRONG program?

Being in the debt relief/document preparation industry for 10 years, I have spoken to no less than 8,000 student loan borrowers, so believe me, I know what I'm talking about. These people tell me their sad stories like  "I sent in my paperwork to apply for loan forgiveness, but I never heard back from anybody, so I gave up."  And "My payment went up, and they (the loan servicer) told me that they can't lower it.", or "I was told one thing from one rep, and something else from another." or "I faxed my documents three times and they said they never received them." And the saddest one, " I've been making payments for 10 years, I wish I would have known about loan forgiveness." Think about how many thousands of people stuggling to pay their loans, would now be debt free, retired, and spending time with their families, instead of having to keep working to pay their bills?

What good is it to get free assistance (from your loan servicer) to apply for forgiveness programs, when you don't even know that the program exists? There is a cost to proactively reach out to people to help them with their loans, and inform them about their benefits. It takes time and effort to properly inform and assist borrowers with this complicated applicaton process, and help them to properly navigate this program.   

Try calling your loan servicer, and ask them if you qualify for loan forgiveness. You will be told to submit an application, and wait a month or two to get a response. Then you have a 1/3 chance that your application is approved, because of something missing or incorrect on your application. Will they call or email you the specific reason for denial? Don't count on it. You have to call THEM to find the answer. And if you need advice on how to maximize your benefits, by getting the lowest payment - don't count on that either. It's just like doing your taxes. You can do it for FREE directly with the IRS, or you can PAY a professional to do it, and get the maximum benefits.

You are dealing with companies that service hundreds of thousands, or millions of clients. There are more than 50 factors (I counted them) which determine your payment, and your best program options. They don't have the time to research your situation, and provide advice or suggestions.

If you have about three hours to kill, go on the Better Business Bureau, and look up your loan service provider. Read the reviews. See if you can count on one hand, how many positive comments were posted.  Yeah, you don't have to pay someone to help you with your loans, and subsequently, you get what you pay for.   Peace

Student Loan Advocates, based in South Florida, has 10 years experience assisting borrowers to qualify for PSLF, and has an "A" rating with the Better Business Bureau. Our office is always open to answer your questions, and provide favorable government payment options, free of charge. We also offer complete document preparation services and annual recertification assistance with the lowest processing fees in the industry. Please visit our website, www.StudentLoanAdvocates.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Student Loan Forgiveness Made Simple